Bagshaw Family Origins
The Bagshaw line has been extended back to 1709 when John Bagshaw was born in Scarcliffe, Derbyshire although christened in Teversal, Nottinghamshire. The parish registers of St Katherine’s church in Teversal show that he married Elizabeth Rogers and they had 9 children, including Henry Bagshaw in 1753 who moved from Teversal back to Scarcliffe.
Henry was married 3 times as far as can be established. Ann Jarvis in 1783, Jane Twidale 1793 and Elizabeth Turner in 1806 with a total of 6 offsping of whom John Bagshaw carried on the direct line of descendancy. It would appear that farming was the chief occupation of this branch of the Bagshaws and they continued to live in the Scarcliffe area until the mid 19th century at Scarcliffe Hall Farm.
Henry’s son, John Bagshaw, farmed in Scarcliffe throughout his life and is shown in several census reports as having anywhere between “7 parcels” of land and 1200 acres, originally on land belonging to the Earl of Bathurst (http://www.richardsbygonetimes.co.uk/landtax.htm) DerbyshireCounty Record Office, Matlock. Ref: Q/RE. Film M226)
There was some confusion however, as two John Bagshaws appear in records of Scarcliffe from around the exact same period and it was with some difficulty and reference to census reports and some logic, that the correct differentiation could be established.
Of their 9 children, the direct line continues with Thomas (b.1832) who married Elizabeth Twidale. Her sister Martha married Thomas’ brother Robert who, in 1871 was admitted to Nottingham Lunacy Hospital and later died there. This would have been the General Lunatic Asylum for County and Town of Nottingham opened at Sneinton built in 1810. In 1855 private patients were transferred to The Coppice q.v. and Sneinton became ‘County and Borough of Nottingham Lunatic Asylum’. Thomas made the move at some point from Scarcliffe to Bolsover and although he continued farming and undertook milling, he was strangely described as a Tea Merchant on the birth certificate of his son, William.
Second son, Robert, worked originally on the premises but as a corn miller before at some point, he changed career and moved to Worksop as a Coal Merchant before making his way to Ashover and Bath House, returning to farming. He married Mary Vessey in 1886 and they produced 6 children.
Youngest child Edward Bagshaw born in 1902 after the family had moved one again to Thorpe Salvin and he married Sarah Helena Hopkinson in 1927 in Chesterfield. They returned to Ashover and Bath House Farm where eldest child Hilda was born but moved to Dale Bank where Geoffrey and Ronald were added to the family. The final move was to Holmesfield.Geoffrey was born in 1929 and went on to marry Edith Parry, thus bringing the two families together.